The Policy Development Facility Phase II (PDF II) is a flexible, rapid-response facility set up to support ‘champions of change’, to implement economic and social policies that lead to poverty reduction in Nigeria. Funded by UK Aid, its goal is to provide “champions of change” with improved capacity and evidence to enable them pursue vital economic and social reforms. Much of PDF II’s support is aimed at addressing constraints to economic growth and building the evidence base to support work in this area.
PDF II works primarily at the federal level supporting “champions of change” who are usually Ministers but also provides support to other high-level government officials. PDF II aims to support relevant National Assembly Committees, and non-government actors such as NGOs and CSOs who pursue implementation of social and economic pro-poor policies.
PDF II began operations on 1st April 2015 and will run for five years, through to 31 March 2020. PDF II succeeds PDF which ended on 31 March 2015. Under PDF, providing embedded advisers and technical support to key “champions of change” across 10 government agencies produced the following notable high value successes with our partners:
- Establishment of a Sovereign Wealth fund for Nigeria’s oil savings.
- Successful implementation of a nationwide business plan competition – YouWiN!
- Improved methodology for measuring job creation.
- Support to the safe school initiative.
- Setting up Development Bank of Nigeria (DBN).
- Growth Enhancement Scheme (GES).